Saturday, November 15, 2008

For a Good Cause

Back in 2005, my sister Joy had brain cancer and 3 brain surgeries. During the third surgery she had a tumor removed. She went through radiation and was supposed to go through chemo, but ended up not having to, which we were all so grateful for.
Joy lost some hair, but not enough to notice, since she could hide it by parting her hair down the middle. Well that is a big part of the reason that Joy and I decided to cut our hair this week. We both got 10+ inches cut off and are planning to donate it to an organization: Pantene (which is similar to Locks for Love).
I haven't had my hair this short in 17 years. That really ages me. It was 7th grade that I last got my hair cut this short.





Joy's last update letter (from Sept 2008):
Dear Friends and Family,
Please forgive me for the length between my letters. I have no good excuse. I guess it is just laziness. The reason for this letter is to update you on my health and to again thank you for your continued prayers.
I am doing well, by the grace of God. He has certainly protected me through the last several years. I had my last MRI at the end of August. It was a high resolution MRI and a new radiologist reviewed the scans. There is no sign of the tumor or any new spots in my brain. Praise the Lord!!
The spot in my C-spine (neck) is not changing. The plan is to continue to monitor it with an MRI every couple of months. Previous scans, from when I was going through brain cancer, did not show this spot, so it has been concluded that the spot is fairly new. The radiologist notated that it has the appearance of a benign lesion, such as a meningioma, but the possibility of CSF tumor seeding cannot be excluded. My next MRI will be at the end of October. Nothing new is expected, just a checkup.
I ask again that you continue to keep me in your prayers. I truly believe that God is working through you. I love you all and thank you for your love and prayers.
Through His grace, Joy Keneaster

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the haircuts!
Aunt Mary Pat